Dear Sister


this photo is older but it is still my favourite.

Late on Saturday night it hit me that you were nine on Monday and I was dumbstruck. Because I cannot even remember when I was nine. I can not remember where I was living or who my friends were, I cannot remember who I saw on the weekends or where I was for my birthday that year. But I will try my hardest to make sure you do. Because I was nine, nine years ago. At least I was almost nine, and I do remember you being born. I remember realising that I was not alone as the only girl anymore, I remember realising that you were my first "real" sibling (it sounds silly now because the eldest boy is as much family as you), I remember thinking that you were loud. I was nine and you were just born and then all of a sudden it was Mum's birthday seven days later but the attention was still all on you. Because you were a baby. A cute baby I will admit. But here is my letter to you being nine, I hope that between our mother and me we can help you remember your ninth year.

Dear sister.
We do not see each other often. Rarely, if at all. Me living in Tasmania does not help this. But one day you will visit and one day, when you are older you will (hopefully) understand why. Know that even through all this distance I still love you as much as the first day I met you.

Dear sister.
You are the best sister. I say that because you are the only sister I have ever truly known. Our age difference is large and we may never really "click" but I will always be your sister and help you through your dramatic teenage years. Especially when the "parents suck" stage comes through.

Dear sister.
You do not talk much on the phone, none of you siblings do, but I know the small things that some would think are insignificant. Your best friend is Kaete, you love playing minecraft and you have a childlike wonder for everything around you. Try not to let that spark die out.

Dear sister.
We share the same eye colour and hair colour. We have the same mannerisms and Mum will always claim that we looked alike as children so, as you get older, just know that you will look like me. (Kind of)

Because no matter how much distance separates us we will always be sisters. And I will always love you.

Chloe, xo. 

Comments

Popular Posts