"Red Queen" by Victoria Aveyard

Author: Victoria Aveyard
Release: February 10, 2015
Pages: 320

Little sidenote: this post was written only a week after the actual book came out. I did not realise that it had been sitting here, waiting to be published.

"This is a world divided by blood - red or silver."

The beautiful cover.

I loved this book. This is in my top five books of 2015, it may even be in the top three. I haven't decided yet. It was apparent within the first few chapters that Red Queen was nothing like I had ever seen before. I don't read a large amount of medieval fantasy because it's an obscure genre that doesn't have much written on it but after reading Red Queen I was wanting more. It's been a little while since I've shouted 'It can't be finished!! I didn't realise it was going to finish!' at ten o'clock at night because I was so enthralled by a book. But I found that with Red Queen I wanted something even more than what I had, I wanted more than the ending that was given. The ending was so tragically beautiful that I cried. But without giving anything away all I will say is this, the ending is shocking and twisted something terrible into my stomach. I certainly need the next book in this series very soon.

The reason why I clung to Red Queen was because I found that Mare's characterisation wasn't your usual wishy-washy female protagonist with a love interest. She had thoughts and feelings and a red-hot burning rebellion in her that was itching to get out. Of course the all expected love-traingle cliche became apparent soon into the book but it wasn't the focus; Aveyard wrote the casual cliche into the book through clever techniques and it didn't even bother me. They usually do. This book is a must-have for any YA reader who is in need of something new, fresh and exciting. I recommend Red Queen in ridiculous amounts so go out and grab yourself a copy.

Chloe, xo.

Comments

Popular Posts