The Big Day: Moving

Tomorrow is the big day. The Big M. Is that a drink? I think it is, and I have succeeded in going completely off-tangent. Anyways, tomorrow is moving day. The day where I board a plane at an ungodly hour (9AM) and fly to another state to start my new life. Generally moving is a weird feeling, it fills me with a little piece of 'what am I doing?!' but overall the sense that I am starting something new and exciting with my life is exhilarating. I just have to get there. I did a post last week about moving, and about how you can make is easier on yourself. I did everything I mentioned and still I have this anxious exhilaration every time I think about moving. Don't know why, maybe it's just left-over anxiety from "becoming" an adult (read: not ready.) But whilst I said my last official goodbye to a friend of mine the other night (holding back the tears) I realised something that I can not believe I am admitting.

I am going to miss these nerds who would much rather sit around and play cluedo with me, drinking tea and shouting at each other, then go out on a Friday night. I came to this town five years ago with the intention of moving away the year after, because that was what I did. I did not make friends, I did not have attachments. In nine years I had attended seven schools and was completely ready to ditch the small town and move away at the end of that year. However the end of year came and we didn't move. The reason why is unbeknownst to me but what I do know is that I actually had to start creating memories here. I was hesitant at first because my entire life, up until that point, had thrown me around and I hadn't really made any proper friends. So in small doses I started forming friendships, some of them lasted and some of them really, really didn't. But those people became a second family. I lost some of them, I gained a few more and then I lost them too and then I went back to the original set. Why? Because I realised that they had my back more than anyone ever had in my life. So moving, is going to put a dint in our friendship (because we're going to be separated by 2,000+ kilometres) but I'm not losing them.

Moving is a challenge, you have to balance everything in your life at a precarious point sometimes. You have to make sure you don't distance yourself from the people who matter and you have to let new people in. It's just one of life's many facets. I don't know about you, but I'm pretty happy with the people in my life.

Chloe, xo.

Comments

Popular Posts