Moving: thoughts and tips.

With rain pattering on the roof and a tense ball of nerves sitting in my stomach as I wait for the movers to arrive I thought this is as good as a time as ever to write about my move. In two weeks I will be embarking on the next journey in my life. I will be moving to Tasmania. Queensland to Tasmania. How mind-boggling does that sound. For anyone who does not know Australian geography I live in the "sunshine state", the state that holds most of the amusement parks and a large amount of beaches (no, we don't have Bondi), and I am moving to that little island at the bottom of Australia. Moving way down to the bottom of said little island and starting my new life. It is, I will admit, terrifying. But there is also an exhilarating edge to it, everything I do will be for myself. In my own independent little world. However the moving process is not the easiest thing. So, to any of my fellow peers who are moving off to university in the next month this is for you. Here are my tips on moving that I have learnt through trial and error.

1) Start packing early. I have reached the point, a day before the movers come, where I have only had three out of five boxes packed. Which means that I had to book the extra two boxes the day that the movers came. That was absolute mayhem.
2) Bubble wrap costs a lot, sadly because popping it is so much fun. Instead of wrapping my crockery and other breakables in bubble wrap I brought a roll of butcher's paper and wrapped each and every item in it. Then between each non-stackable item I wadded up my winter clothing and shoved it in tightly. Foolproof.
3) Number your boxes. Then write down how many boxes you have, and should have at the end of the move. This will ensure that anything lost in transit will, hopefully, find its way back to you. Write down what numbered boxes have valuables in them instead of writing it on the box as well.
4) Colour code your boxes. This kind of goes hand-in-hand with the last step but it still warrants a mention. It does not matter if you are moving into on-campus accommodation your boxes will be for different part of the "house." There will be boxes for bathroom, kitchen and general living and to save confusion at the other end put a different coloured piece of tape on the boxes and write what box belongs to which room. Obviously gather like boxes and you're all set for stress free unpacking.
5) Change your address. I know this seems like a brainless step. But you have your address on so many things: bank accounts, phone bills, even some of your online accounts that you buy things for have your address as a quick fill option. Which means that on a sleep deprived/drunk online shopping spree you are more than likely going to send it to the wrong place. Change it before that happens.

Hope that I at least help one person moving this university season.
Chloe, xo.

Comments

Popular Posts