"The Glittering Court" by Richelle Mead || book review



terrible photo today since I'm posting this as I'm running out the door to work. 


Release: April 5 2016
Pages: 400
Rating: 3/5


The new (enough) book from Richelle Mead was like a twist between The Selection and Reign with just a touch of The Hunger Games sprinkled throughout. It centres in on Adelaide, a girl of high-born class who doesn't want to be thrust into an unknown marriage and decides instead to escape to the Glittering Court, an academy/school type situation where the girls are taught about being high class women for the new society. The first section of time at the Glittering Court seemed to drag and although this bit developed the characters and fleshed them out even more I simply put the book away for about a week because I was a little bored.

Richelle Mead, as usual, does a great job at world-building. It seems real and tangible and her characters suit the world so well. Adelaide was, in the end, a character that I really loved since I found myself connecting more with her then Mira.  I felt that Tamsin was quite petty in her reactions to things and in the beginning Adelaide was too. Each of the girls developed as characters quite nicely, by the end of the book they were well rounded lil' humans.

The Glittering Court was an interesting read. It was something that had kind of been done (The Selection anyone?) but at the same time had a fresh twist on it that I really, really wasn't expecting. I've read The Vampire Academy from Richelle Mead as well and with this book she's definitely stayed true to her writing style, except she's given it an extra flair of opulence I don't think we saw in her first series. Now personally I enjoy an opulence to books, I enjoy the rich descriptions that was given out by Mead but I can see how some wouldn't. ALSO the romance plot was quite predictable, I saw it from the beginning which upset me slightly because if there has to be a romance plot I want it coming from somewhere unexpected (like in A Court of Mist and Fury). But the semi-adventure that Adelaide takes is fun and fresh and wasn't a terrible journey to take a book. Although it was something seen before I decided to give it a try and honestly didn't hate it, but I won't be picking up anything from the rest of the series. It sadly didn't prick my fancy enough.

Chloe, xo.






Comments

Popular Posts